What Costa Mesa Property Owners Need To Know About Dangerous Spiders
January 29, 2021
Common Dangerous Spiders In Costa Mesa
Most spiders are harmless and pose no serious risk to your health. Here in Costa Mesa, only two species have ever been responsible for human fatality or serious medical issues, the black widow and the brown recluse. Here is how to identify spider species.
- Size: 1.5”
- Body Shape: Small torso, long legs, and bulbous abdomen
- Color: Jet black
- Distinguishing Markings: A red hourglass symbol on the underside of its abdomen
- Size: .24 to .79”
- Body Shape: Medium-sized torso, long thin legs, and oval-shaped abdomen
- Color: Dark brown to blackish-grey
- Distinguishing Markings: A dark backward violin mark just behind its head
One thing you should know about the brown recluse spider is that it is commonly mistaken for other area spiders such as the wolf spider, the ground spider, and the sac spider. As a general rule, if you see a spider that you think might be a brown recluse, keep your distance.
Where To Find Dangerous Spiders
Brown recluse and black widow spiders are very different in how they approach hunting food. Black widows build irregular webs to catch their prey. Although brown recluse also spin webs, they do not use these nests to catch food but rather hunt from the ground. You are most likely to find a black widow near its nest and a brown recluse hidden in tight concealed spaces such as in between storage boxes or clutter.
The Threats Dangerous Spiders Pose
Both the brown recluse and the black widow spider have a painful and dangerous bite. If one of these dangerous pests ever bite you, here are some symptoms to expect.
Black Widow Bite:
- Common Symptoms: Light to severe pain around the area of the bite followed by redness and swelling and two red fang marks
- Severe Symptoms: Chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, severe back, chest, or belly pain, headache, muscle cramps, sweating, stupor, shock, or restlessness, and severe high blood pressure.
Brown Recluse Bite:
- Common Symptoms: Redness around the bite zone, mild to severe pain and itching, a blister where the bite occurred
- Severe Symptoms: Chills, fever, dizziness, nausea, rash, vomiting, and an open sore, and developing necrosis around the area of the bite.
Although rare, both black widow and brown recluse bites can be life-threatening. Consult with your doctor to understand your risk and seek medical attention immediately if one of these dangerous pests bites you.
How To Prevent Dangerous Spiders
When your own personal safety is involved, it should be a no-brainer to invest in professional home pest control. At Smart Pest Control, we incorporate advanced elimination and exclusion tactics when treating for dangerous spiders. If you want to ensure black widow and brown recluse spiders stay out, we are your best option. With reasonable prices and a money-back guarantee, you will never have to worry that you made the wrong choice picking us.
Contact our team today via phone or through our website to learn more about our spider control solutions in Costa Mesa or to schedule a service visit for your property.