How Dangerous Are Ants Around My Orange County Property?
August 28, 2020
If you’re a property owner in Orange County, you’ll probably deal with ants at some point. While some ant species are more likely to be found outside, others commonly go indoors in search of food or shelter. No matter the ant species you have invading your home, they can be particularly troublesome because of their sheer numbers. But not all ant species are as much of a problem as others. While some ants can pose health risks or cause property damage, others are only nuisance pests. All ants share certain traits. Here is a general description of these little home invaders.
- All ants have three segments. These segments are the head, thorax, and abdomen.
- Just like wasps, which they are related to, they have thin “waists” that connect their thorax and abdomen.
- They have six legs and a pair of antennae.
- Most ant species in the area are less than 1/2 an inch long.
- In general, ants are brown, black, yellow, or red.
Nuisance Ants In Orange County, CA
Most ant infestations in the area are of nuisance ants. These ants don’t damage property or pose major health risks. The main reason you’ll want to get rid of them is that their numbers can grow large and because they can contaminate any food that they get into. Here in Orange County, there are two main nuisance ants. Here is what you need to know about each of them:
- Pavement ants: These ants are commonly found outdoors around sidewalks, but they occasionally make their way indoors. They are dark brown with a shiny look to them. They only reach about 1/8 of an inch long.
- Argentine ants: These ants can become a concern because they have large colonies. They are a light brown color and about 1/8 of an inch long. They can also be identified by their 12-segmented antennae.
Harmful And Destructive Ants In Orange County, CA
While dealing with nuisance ants is frustrating enough, there are two main species in the area that pose even bigger problems: carpenter ants and fire ants.
- Carpenter ants: These ants can do a great deal of damage to property because they tunnel through wood to build their nests. While they don’t eat wood, they do damage in a way that’s similar to termites. They can destroy anything from flooring and support beams to drywall. They are black or red and have heart-shaped heads.
- Fire ants: These ants are the only ants in the area that are considered a health risk. This is because they can both bite and sting. Their stings can be painful, itchy, and cause a burning sensation. People who have allergic reactions to their stings could be hospitalized if attacked. Generally, these ants are found outdoors. This species is a red-brown color and has a small stinger.
The Best Protection From Any Ant Infestation
Some ant species are especially concerning and need to be immediately removed, but even the nuisance species can become overwhelming. Instead of trying to handle these numerous pests on your own, save yourself time and aggravation by getting help from the pest control experts in Southern California at Smart Pest Control. Our experienced technicians can handle all ant infestations regardless of the species or the severity of the problem. Give us a call today to get started with effective ant control services in Orange County!
Contact Smart Pest Control Today!(855) 676-0098
Contact us for comprehensive pest control solutions in Orange County, CA, and surrounding areas.